Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- Eating and Drinking: You must not eat or drink anything (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Escort: A responsible adult escort must accompany you to the office, remain in the office during the procedure and drive you home. Children require 2 adults for their ride home. One to drive the vehicle and the other to be with the child.
- Medications: Medications normally taken should be taken unless otherwise agreed upon by this office, and may be taken with a small sip of water.
- Clothing: Please wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing and pants. Short sleeves or sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow are preferred. Comfortable flat shoes should be worn, avoid sandals and heels.
- Contact lenses and makeup: Contact lenses, jewelry and dentures must be removed before sedation/anesthesia is administered. Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- Changes in health: A change in your health, especially the development of a fever, cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, is very important. Please inform the office of any change in your health prior to your appointment. For your safety you may be re-appointed for another day.
- Homecare: For safety reasons a responsible adult should be with the patient until the next day. Do not plan to drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Smoking: No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.